ILOVEUINME 2003 v05

ILOVEUINME 2003 V.05 EXCLUSIVE! Inteview with DuJuan Elliott

« Older   Newer »
VAMPYNPG2000
view post Posted on 24/1/2017, 16:30     +1   -1

:avviso: Dujuan_zps7ommrmcq :avviso:

dujuan-28-of-38_d1450_zpsdlwzd4sl

As many will remember, he was with Prince during the Rave2000 Concert.
DuJuan Elliot is one of the Blackshire Brothers and he has been Prince's backing vocalist from 1999 to 2008.
He is a gospel singer and he has been touring all around the States with his band The Beard Family.
Now he will release his first EP "New Age, New Day".

Video

The Interview

1° - How was it to work on your first EP? You are a sound engineer so, did you take control of this side of the work or did you rely on trusted professionals?

Working on my EP has been very liberating to be able to execute my own ideas, and allow my ideas to grow and develop into something completely unique. Unique, that's how I would describe myself and this EP. Working on this has definitely been a breath of fresh air. I have been able to find my inner voice.
I took on the engineering myself after working with so many "professionals," who could not get me the sound that I wanted. I have been engineering for 20+ years, so the transition to recording and engineering my own music came easy.

2° - Is "New Age, New Day" an introduction, a first taste, to a full album debut?

Absolutely. "New Age, New Day" is definitely an introduction to a full album. Just giving the world a little taste of what DuJuan Elliott has to offer in the near future. I am looking forward to lots of feedback from my fans.

3° - "Let Me In" has a dance sound. What else will we listen to? Which other sonorities did you put inside "New Age, New Day"?

I have maintained being true to myself throughout this album, in that, I do not approach music creation with a "genre" state of mind. Please expect a lot of different sound palates within the DuJuan Elliott brand. I wanted to make sure this album had a little something for everyone on it.

4° - Now let me ask you about Prince. You had been working with him since 1999. People who knew him or worked with him has recalled lots of untold stories about him. What was your experience, your relation with Prince?

Prince was like a brother to my brothers and I. We had a lot of fun together and made a lot of great music together. We talked a lot of crap to each other, like brothers tend to do. He challenged and pushed me to do things that I did not know I was capable of doing.

5° - "The Rainbow Children" was a milestone for many people, full of significations - it was for me as well. You took part in this work: does it have a special meaning for you?

We were touring with Prince at the time of the release, but he had completed this record before we actually got with him. It is a very artistic album, with a lot of jazz influences. It's a great record and I love the artwork for it!

6° - Prince's death was a shocking news for everybody - I cried all week long. What kind of legacy did he leave you?

His death brought on a lot of mixed feelings for me. I was certainly hurt, and quite shocked when I got the call. Prince left me a foundation. For everything that I create today, there are certain aspects that are inspired by him. It might be vocals or how I approach my production process, or even the fluidity of how I work...it's done with him in mind.

7° - What did you learn working with Prince?

I learned to never EVER lose inspiration, because inspiration is all around us. I learned to not approach music from a "genre" state of mind, but to just be who you were made to be and build from that foundation. I learned so much, it would take a book to even begin to explain my experiences with Prince.

8° - Do you look after his teachings in your work?

Absolutely. One of the biggest teachings that I have applied is his work ethic. Prince had a ridiculous work ethic. Everyday, I try to approach my music the way that he did, striving for perfection.

9° - What would you suggest to young people who'd like to find their way in music?

For starters, definitely find your own voice. I think this is something that is lacking in most artists today. This is something that the music industry does not teach you anymore. Be diligent. Don't feel so entitled. Learn to put in the work. Be patient. Your time, is your time. Music is all about creative freedom, develop your own sound.

DuJuan Elliott official site

DuJuan Elliott Youtube

DuJuan Ellioltt Twitter

DuJuan Elliott Facebook

DuJuan Elliott Instagram

Edited by VAMPYNPG2000 - 6/2/2017, 19:12

VAMPYNPG2000
view post Posted on 24/1/2017, 17:01     +1   -1

Molti lo ricordano nel concerto di Prince 'Rave2000'.
Dujuan Elliot, uno dei fratelli Blackshire, è stato corista di Prince dal 1999 al 2008.
Ha una carriera da cantante gospel e col suo gruppo, The Beard Family, ha girato per tutta l'America.
Ed ora sta per lanciare il suo primo EP "New Age, New Day".

L'intervista

1° - Com'è stata la preparazione di questo tuo primo Ep, dato anche il tuo lavoro di ingeniere del suono, hai voluto avere il controllo anche su questo aspetto o ti sei rivolto persone di cui ti fidavi?

- Lavorare al mio EP è stato molto liberatorio, mi ha permesso di dare forma alle mie idee, di permettere alle mie idee di crescere e trasformarsi in qualcosa di assolutamente unico. Unico: così descriverei me stesso e questo EP. Lavorarci è stato assolutamente una boccata d'aria fresca. Sono riuscito a trovare la mia voce interiore. Dopo aver lavorato con così tanti "professionisti" che non riuscivano a darmi il suono che volevo, mi sono occupato io stesso della parte di ingegnere del suono. L'ho fatto per più di 20 anni per cui passare a fare e lavorare sulla mia musica è stato facile.

2° - "New Age, New Day", è un primo assaggio di un tuo probabile album di debutto?

- Assolutamente sì. "New Age, New Day" è un'anticipazione di un album completo. E' un piccolo assaggio di ciò che DuJuan Elliot può offrire in futuro. Non vedo l'ora di avere dei riscontri dai miei fan.

3°- "Let Me In" ha sonorità dance. Quale altre sonorità ascolteremo nel tuo EP?

- Sono riuscito a rimanere fedele a me stesso in questo album e cioè che non mi pongo di fronte alla creazione musicale alla ricerca di un "genere". Aspettatevi invece molte sonorità diverse sotto il marchio DuJuan Elliott. Ho voluto che in questo album ci fosse qualcosa per ognuno.

4°- Ora non posso che chiederti di Prince. Dal 1999 hai collabrato con lui. Molti hanno raccontato storie inedite sul suo conto; com'era il tuo rapporto con lui?

- Prince è stato come un fratello per me ed i miei fratelli. Ci siamo divertiti molto insieme e insieme abbiamo fatto grande musica. Abbiamo cazzeggiato, come si fa fra fratelli. Mi ha messo alla prova e mi ha spronato a fare cose che non sapevo di essere capace di fare.

5°- "The Rainbow Children" è stato un'album che ha segnato molte persone, tra cui me. Un album dai molti significati. In questo album hai dato il tuo contributo. Che significato ha avuto per te?

- eravamo in tour con Prince quando uscì l'album, ma lui lo aveva completato già prima che ci unissimo effettivamente a lui. E' un album molto artistico, con tante influenze jazz. E' un grande album e ne adoro la grafica.

6° - La sua morte ha scioccato il mondo intero (io ho pianto per una settimana intera). Prince cosa ha lasciato dentro di te?

- La sua morte mi ha scatenato un mucchio di emozioni diverse. Ne sono rimasto certamente addolorato e alquanto scioccato quando ho ricevuto la notizia. Prince mi ha dato delle fondamenta. In tutto ciò che creo oggi ci sono aspetti che traggono ispirazione da lui. Possono essere le parti vocali, o il modo in cui affronto il processo produttivo, oppure la fluidità con cui lavoro…lo faccio tenendo a mente lui.

7°- Cosa hai imparato nel corso degli anni che hai lavorato con lui?

- Ho imparato a non perdere mai e poi mai l'ispirazione, perché l'ispirazione è ovunque intorno a noi. Ho imparato a non pormi nei confronti della musica per "generi" ma ad essere semplicemente ciò per cui si è nati partendo dalle fondamenta. Ho imparato così tanto che ci vorrebbe un libro anche solo per cominciare a spiegare qual è stata la mia esperienza con Prince.

8° - Nel tuo lavoro porti avanti i suoi insegnamenti?

- Assolutamente. Uno dei maggiori insegnamenti che metto in pratica è la sua etica del lavoro. Prince aveva un'etica del lavoro "assurda" [intesa come talmente chiara, lapalissiana - n.d.r.]. Ogni giorno cerco di pormi nei confronti della musica come faceva lui, impegnandomi per la perfezione.

9° - Cosa vuoi dire ai giovani che vogliono intraprendere il tuo stesso lavoro?

- A chi comincia (suggerisco) di cercare la propria voce. Penso che sia qualcosa che manca nella maggior parte degli artisti oggigiorno. E' qualcosa che l'industria musicale non ti insegna più. Essere diligenti. Non pensare che sia tutto dovuto. Imparare a dedicarsi al lavoro. Essere pazienti. Ognuno ha i suoi tempi. La musica ha a che fare con la libertà creativa: sviluppate il vostro sound personale.

[tradotta da VAMPY in collaborazione con Camila, sua sorella]

Edited by VAMPYNPG2000 - 6/2/2017, 19:14

VAMPYNPG2000
view post Posted on 27/1/2017, 01:21     +1   -1

Ecco la copertina dell'EP "New Age, New Day

f8c1c9fda91522b8e1c7296ed2231779_zpsyvjxzhg1

VAMPYNPG2000
view post Posted on 1/2/2017, 12:49     +1   -1

3 replies since 24/1/2017, 16:30   224 views